Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Old School


Nothing says I love me like good ole acorn squash like my mom used to make. Simple. Brown sugar, lots of butter. A salad with chicken and bacon. Need i say more? No, but i'll give you the best simple salad dressing. I'll never tire of it. I could drink it.

Sweet Balsamic Dressing
1/4 c balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 or 2 dashes of pepper
1 clove garlic smashed or minced

1/2 c olive oil


Whisk everything together, except for the oil, until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Then continue whisking, and add olive oil. That's it. Really. I love it super simple, like with just some shaved parm. This time, I added cranberries and walnuts and parm, leftover chicken and cold bacon from the fridge. Maybe next time I'll add bacon in the squash, let it get all gooey with the butter and brown sugar. Yep. I don't eat this nearly often enough. And look how easy this one is too:

Sugar Squash
1 squash for each person
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400. Cut the squash in half and get out all the guts and slime. Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar to each half. Put the halves on a baking tray with the cut sides up. Roast for about 1 hour. Test for doneness with a fork or spoon. It should pierce the fleshy part of the squash easily. Mmmmmmm. So simple. So good.

1 comment:

Joie de vivre said...

My mom would make acorn squash the exact same way. I found you through the blog fairy. Love your re-design. I'm so glad I visited!